I really like the term “thunder thighs” cause then my stretch marks are like lightning yES I am a storm, I am a force to be reckoned with fuCK WITH ME
My masterpiece of a tweet
The opposite end of traditional “street harassment”: the girl who never gets cat called
In feminist spaces I see a lot of feminists complain about being street harassed. I read about it and I totally sympathize with their experiences, even though I have never experienced them myself. I am a female myself but am not conventionally attractive. I am not hideous but more or less a plain jane. On top of that I have ALWAYS valued comfort over style, so dressing feminine isn’t something I do on a regular basis. I wear a lot of loose jeans and T-shirts. But yeah, anyway, know that I am not trying to play “who has it harder” or anything but rather I am making this to share my experiences of getting the opposite end of the shit-covered stick that is street harassment that I don’t see being mentioned. I call it street dismissal.
When I say street dismissal I am talking about men who feel the need to subtly announce that unattractive women are not worthy of respect or acknowledgement because they are not a conventionally attractive female or their fellow man.
Some examples I’ve personally experienced include:
- Many guys at parties will arrive or leave, give all the men handshakes, give the attractive women hugs, but won’t even make eye contact with me. I am not a guy or a hot girl so I don’t exist.
- I’ve been bumped into in public without an apology by men. I am not an attractive girl or your fellow man, so it makes sense for you to not even notice I am there.
- One time I was walking behind a group of attractive women. A guy spotted us. Opened the door for the three women and shut the door in my face. I am not worthy of his time because I am not attractive.
- I once was charged a cover on ladies night because I went out to the bar in my work uniform. (red shirt khaki pants)
- Another time at a bar, I saw an open space to order a drink. The guy sitting next to me saw me, raised his eyebrows and turned the other way to make sure I don’t DARE try to talk to him. (Because I totally went there to hit on him and NOT get a drink right?)
- I once went with my gay male friend to a straight guy’s house he knew. The first thing out of the straight guy’s mouth was “I was totally excited when you had a chick with you. Nevermind!” The whole night he offered my friend drinks and didn’t offer me a thing and seemed frustrated when I asked where the bathroom was. The only other thing he said that night was “Do you have any hot single friends that would come over here?”
- Another time I went with a female friend of mine to get drinks. We met up with her guy friend. He ordered a round of beers for everyone except me. His excuse was “he didn’t know she was going to bring someone along and he is low on money” that was until his guy friend from high school showed up unexpectedly and he quickly bought him a drink.
These are just examples that have happened to me. So my question is are there any other “unattractive” girls out there that experience things similar to this?
I just wanted to speak from the other perspective. We always hear the horror stories of sexism from the perspective of the women who are objectified by men in the sense of “oo I want that.” and not too many in the sense of “oo, ew DO NOT WANT.”
This may seem like a big long rant that looks like “WAH PRETTY GIRLS GET THINGS AND I DON’T OH MY LIFE SUCKS” but I don’t mean to come off that way. Because I feel the need to mention that guys don’t do this just to get laid. This is where it’s important to bring up the fact that we are treated with less respect than other men. Men aren’t decent people to other men because they want to fuck them. They are decent to them because they see them as equals that deserve basic respect and acknowledgement. But we are women and to these men either you try to fuck them because they are hot or want them to go away. An unattractive woman has no purpose to him.
Misogyny affects all women negatively.
When I saw the first line I thought this post was going to be a boohooing tale about someone who desperately wanted to get harassed by men for hotness validation, but it was nothing of the sort. This is important and we should definitely see this brought up more in conversations regarding men’s general attitudes toward and interactions with women.
I hear stories like this mostly from big women or women who used to be a lot bigger than they are now. A woman told me she was once straight up punched in the face, after the guy told her she was disgusting and fat, and he just walked on and laughed. And the saddest part is that she told me, a lot of women harrassed her as well :(
OP is right, women are not left alone or “ignored” just because men dont find them attractive. And as the OP says, ignoring someone can be done in a rude and aggressive way.
And some people get both.
I’m a super fat women and I both get harassed/streetcalled/rubbed up on in public, but I also get completely ignored.
One time super late at night I was on the train and a complete stranger, a man, came up to me and started screaming at me and demanding money. I was reading a book and he got in my face and physically slapped it out of my hands and onto the floor, yelling and threatening me and demanding money and calling me names/insulting me. I loudly stated that I didn’t know him and asked him to leave me alone. Nobody in the train car reacted. The only other woman there stared stonily ahead (I don’t blame her at all). Finally, a tall guy stood up and walked toward me… to sit next to the (slender, conventionally attractive woman) putting his body between her and the screaming guy assaulting me. Nobody addressed the screaming man threatening me. Nobody pushed the brightly lit blue call button to notify the conductor. I didn’t matter. The other (thinner, more conventionally attractive) woman who was (not yet) in the line of fire mattered more than I did.
I wound up scrambling off the train just before the doors closed at the next stop, even though it wasn’t my stop and I knew there’d be a 20+ minute wait for the next train. I really hoped the guy wouldn’t be able to follow me out. Part of the reason I didn’t stay on until my stop (which was the next one after) was because I didn’t want him to disembark with me and follow me home… something that’s happened before.
There are a lot of different ways to harass women. Both responding aggressively to their femininity/perceived sexual availability and also denying it, devaluing them because they aren’t feminine enough. Both are harmful. Both just… chip away at the person, at the soul, at the worth of someone. It’s a constant slow eroding drip wearing us down.
Yes to all this. I’ve been sexually harassed, fat shamed and invisible depending on how someone decides how valuable I am to them. It cuts at you.
I think I’ve already reblogged this but I don’t care. It’s so important. It’s SO important. In our society, you either exist as an object to be fucked or you’re ignored or greeted with anger if you’re not deemed fuckable enough. And it’s perverse and disgusting and I am so tired of hearing these stories from women. We are more. Whether we’re thin or fat, conventionally attractive or plain, no matter what color we are, we deserve respect and we aren’t getting it, (and many times WOC get it worse than white women, which I think it’s important to remember) and it makes me so tired and so sad.
This needs to be spread. The worst I’ve been harassed is also the most difficult to understand: I was not even a block away from my workplace walking at 8am in the frigid Midwest in a long, black puffy coat with black tights and boots and a man in a car driving opens his window to yell “NICE PUSSY.” I only caught the tail end so I pretended it didn’t happen until he purposefully made a u-turn to pass by me to scream it AGAIN. Thankfully he didn’t stop to continue but seriously, he couldn’t see anything (certainly not my vagina) and I was still nothing but an object. I’ve taken to wearing my headphones walking back and forth from work (no more than a few blocks). Harassment in all forms is degrading and makes one feel like their personal safety is compromised. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories
Being a fat black woman, it hits doubly because I will be flat out ignored if I am in proximity of friends who are lighter, whiter or skinnier than me.
I am often called upon to be the life of the party by white counterparts because I am both fat (cus we are always supposed to be happy) and black (cus we juat always know how to dance and know all the new rap songs right?)
But when it comes to being talked to like the sexual being I am? Forget it. I could be dressed to the nines and be completely ignored by men all around me. My femininity is completely ignored, even when I present it to the umpteenth level.
Sums up their personalities pretty well.
Eddy: I can achieve anything
Edd: there’s a logical way to achieve what I want
Ed: there’s nothing standing in my way
Eddy hopping over the fence indicates his willingness to “cheat” the system, or to take a shortcut. Much like his schemes, it might end up being more work, but in his mind, cheating is the best way to get ahead.
Edd goes the neat and logical way, he’s straight forward. BUT, note that he closes the gate behind him rather than leaving it open. He’s incredibly meticulous and even if it’s more convenient to leave it open for anyone coming in behind him, he has to leave things neat, tidy and as he found them.
Ed is also is straight forward, he in fact is using the MOST direct route. But this route is one no one else would consider because it seems completely nonsensical. Which sums him up pretty well. The fact that it works for him is also fun to note. In general his earnestness and determination carries him through situations that most people would be stopped by.
I honestly never thought I’d see a critical analysis of Ed, Edd, and Eddy
CREEPY THINGS TO WATCH
A compilation of all the horror filled movies, t.v shows & documentaries I could find. It includes some of my own masterposts and other people’s masterposts.
- Scary Movie Masterpost
- Childhood Halloween Masterpost
- Psychological Thriller Movie Masterpost
- Not So Scary Movie Masterpost
- Link to Horror Movies You Shouldn’t Miss
- Another Horror Movie Masterpost
- Foreign Horror Films Masterpost
- Creepy Short Film Masterpost
- American Horror Story Masterpost
- The Walking Dead Masterpost
- Supernatural Masterpost
- Scooby-Doo Masterpost
- Top 10 Disturbing Documentaries
- A Haunting Episode List
- X-Files Episode List
- Ghost Hunters Episode List
- Ghost Adventures Episode List
- The Twilight Zone Episode List
- Unsolved Mysteries Series
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Series
- Ghost Whisperer Series
- Psychic Kids Series
- Is It Real Series
- Sightings Series
- Strange But True Series
COSTUME/CREEPY MAKE-UP TUTORIALS
A compilation of amazing people with a talent for art and expression. Some of these are gorey, so be cautious.
- Cracked Doll
- Severed Fingers
- Dissected Arm
- Maggot Eyes
- Corpse Bride
- Nightmare Before Christmas
- Dead Bride
- Creepy Dummy Doll
- Annabelle Doll
- The Exorcist
- The Ring
- Silent Hill Nurse
- Chucky: Child’s Play
- Candy Demon
- Unwanted House Guest
- Monster Girl
- Blood Nail Art
- Scary Fairy Nails
- Cute & Easy Halloween Nails
CREEPY STORY NARRARATIONS
What’s better than reading scary stories? Listening to them from people who have a voice that perfectly match the suspense needed for such stories.
- Cry Reads
- Otis Jiry
- Madame Macabre
- Litter Bot
Creepy compilations from around the web and from posts I’ve made before.
- Top Rated Scary Stories
- Cracked on Horror
- Listverse Bizarre and Creepy
- Creepiest Gifs
- Reddit No Sleep
- Reddit Paranormal
- Reddit Horror
- Creepy Contacts
- Top 10 Sixpenceee Stories
- Top 10 Reddit Lets Not Meet Stories
- Top 10 Creepy Short Films
- Compilation of Short Creepy Stories
- Unsettling Things on the Internet
- Top 10 Terrifying YouTube Videos
- Top 10 Creepy Audio Recordings
- Creepy Dares List
- Creepy Facts Compilation
- Top 5 Disturbing Topics
- Top 5 Fake Documentaries
- 6 Terrifying Comics
- Common Nightmares & Their Meanings
- Creepy Japanese Urban Legends
- Creepy Lost Episodes Compilation
- Compilation of Horror Pranks
- Top 5 Mass Extinctions
- Glitch in the Matrix
- Top 10 Found Footage & Creepy Videos
- Top 10 Long Scary Stories
- Ways to Contact the Dead
- Creepy Meaning Behind Nursery Rhymes
- Creepiest Glitch Experiences
- Paranormal Science Resources
- Map of Monsters/Ghosts/Cryptids in the USA
- Everything on Astral Projection
- Everything on Terrifying Dolls
The first couple are masterposts I’ve made, the rest are masterposts I’ve gathered from other blogs.
- Masterpost of World’s Scariest Places
- Masterpost of True Terrifying Events
- Masterpost of Creepy Stories
- Masterpost of Gothic Novels
- Masterpost of Creepy Websites
- Masterpost of Creepy Online Games
- Masterpost of Creepy Sleep-Over Games
- Masterpost of Scary Music
- Masterpost of Free Indie Horror Games
- Another Halloween Masterpost
- Halloween Pixel/Background Masterpost
- Another Halloween Pixel/Banners/Cursor Masterpost
- Chilling Tales For Dark Nights Masterpost
- Paranormal Podcast Masterpost
- Scary App Masterpost
- Paranormal Creatures Masterpost
- Superstitions Masterpost
- Creepy Wikipedia Articles Masterpost
- Masterpost of Creepy Stuff
- Myths & Urban Legends Masterpost
- The Bloodworth Saga Masterpost
- Scary October Masterpost
CREEPY TUMBLR BLOGS
Some creepy blogs to keep your dash scary 24/7. Thanks to everyone who contacted me for this. Sorry, if I’m forgetting you. I really am. I made this list during midterms week & I was half dead.
Well, there you go! :) Be sure to check out my halloween special, where you guys get to share your halloween spirit. Have a lovely October & Halloween everyone!